The Redwood City School District (RCSD) reminds parents that its Schools of Choice applications are due no later than this Wednesday, Jan. 9 at 4 p.m.
What is a School of Choice? The local K-8 district's magnet schools include Adelante Spanish Immersion School, MIT (McKinley Institute of Technology), Orion Alternative Elementary and North Star Academy.
Therefore, if you want your child to attend one of those magnet schools, or any other school other than your assigned neighborhood school, your application must be turned in no later than Wednesday at 4 p.m.
RCSD says, families should note that:
- The application deadline of Jan. 9 is earlier than in previous years.
- Families of students who apply to Adelante, MIT, North Star or Orion by the Jan. 9 deadline will find out if their students have a place at those schools by no later than Feb. 15 - more than a month earlier than previously.
- It is no longer required for kindergarten students to register at their assigned neighborhood school prior to applying to attend a School of Choice. Families who are notified that there is a space available at Adelante or Orion will register their child directly at that school.
- Students who apply to a school other than their assigned neighborhood school will be assigned a waiting list number based on the district's Priority Order of Enrollment, and a random computer lottery process will take place on March 15. Families may call 650-423-2237 beginning Monday, March 18 to find out their student's place on the waiting list.
- In accordance with school board policy, the district cannot offer placement to students applying to attend a school other than their assigned neighborhood school until all neighborhood students have been placed. Non-neighborhood students are placed at neighborhood schools as spaces open up. This may occur as early as mid-March, or students may remain on a wait list indefinitely.
- North Star Academy has its own application, which is available from the North Star Office or can be downloaded at www.rcsdk8.net/northstar. The application needs to be turned in directly to the North Star office by the Jan. 9th at 4 p.m. deadline.
- Applications for Adelante, Orion and MIT, or to attend a school other than your assigned neighborhood school, are available on the district website, www.rcsdk8.net/enrollment, or at the District Office at 750 Bradford St., and at all school offices.
Stay informed on all the latest local schools news - follow Patch!
Sign up for Redwood City-Woodside Patch’s daily newsletter
"Like” us on Facebook
"Follow” us on Twitter
Want to share your opinions with the communities of Redwood City and Woodside? Start your own blog here.