The Redwood City School District (RCSD) is changing the Schools of Choice registration process, effective immediately for enrollment in the 2013-14 school year next fall.
This past June 13, the RCSD school board voted to move up the application process for "Schools of Choice," allowing the district to streamline the process for parents, and inform families earlier if students will be able to attend a School of Choice for the 2013-14 school year.
A "School of Choice" refers to any one of the district's four magnet or alternative schools - Adelante Spanish Immersion School, McKinley Institute of Technology (MIT), North Star Academy, or Orion Alternative Elementary School - or when a family wishes to send their child to a school that is not their designated "home" school.
Immediate changes to the Schools of Choice application process include:
- The Schools of Choice Open Enrollment period for the 2013-14 school year began on Oct. 15, 2012 and ends on Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2013, providing a longer time period for families to complete and submit applications.
- Families of students who apply to Adelante, MIT, North Star or Orion by the Jan. 9 deadline will find out if their students have a place at those schools by Feb. 15, more than a month earlier than previously.
- It is no longer required for kindergarten students to register at their assigned "home" school prior to applying to attend a School of Choice. Families who are notified that there is a space available at Adelante or Orion will register their child directly at that school.
- Students who apply to a neighborhood school other than their assigned school will be assigned a waiting list number based on the district's Priority Order of Enrollment, and a random computer lottery will take place on March 15. Families may call 650-423-2237 beginning Monday, March 18 to find out their student's place on the waiting list.
- NOTE: In accordance with school board policy, the district cannot offer placement to students applying to attend a neighborhood school other than their assigned school until all neighborhood students have been placed. Non-neighborhood students are placed at schools as spaces open up. This may occur as early as mid-March, or students may remain on a wait list indefinitely.
- North Star has its own application, which is available from the North Star office or can be downloaded at www.rcsdk8.net/northstar, and needs to be turned in directly to the North Star office by the Jan. 9 deadline. This year, the North Star application timeline and notification will align with Adelante's, Orion's and MIT's.
- Applications for Adelante, Orion and MIT, or to attend a neighborhood school other than your assigned school, are available on the district website at www.rcsdk8.net/enrollment, at the District Office at 750 Bradford St., and at all school offices.
APPLICATION PROCESS TIMELINE
This timeline applies to all grades, including incoming kindergarteners.
- 2013-14 Schools of Choice applications available: Oct. 15, 2012
- Schools of Choice Open Enrollment Period: Oct. 15, 2012 - Jan. 9, 2013
- Schools of Choice Application Deadline: Jan. 9, 2013 at 4 p.m.
- Notification for placement at Adelante, MIT, North Star or Orion: Feb. 15, 2013
- Deadline to accept a spot at Adelante, MIT, North Star or Orion: March 1, 2013
- Waitlist available for Cloud, Clifford, Fair Oaks, Hawes, Henry Ford, Garfield, Kennedy, Hoover, John Gill, Roosevelt, Selby Lane and Taft schools: March 15, 2013
- Placement of students who apply to attend neighborhod schools other than their assigned schools: As space becomes available, after March 15
Stay up-to-date on the latest local schools news - follow Patch!
Sign up for Redwood City-Woodside Patch’s daily newsletter
"Like” us on Facebook