Protecting Redwood City's Water Supply

The City is introducing new regulations for businesses with a groundwater well or that use creek water.

By the City of Redwood City

[The City of Redwood City] just went live with an important set of web pages, and we wanted to make sure everyone knows about this resource. It has to do with how property owners with a groundwater well (either operable or not) or who use creek water for their irrigation can do their part to protect the community's water supply. 

If you have a well on your property, or if you use creek water to irrigate your landscape, please go to www.redwoodcity.org/crossconnection for information and the step-by-step process for bringing your property into compliance with these important water system safety regulations.

The City has a required "Cross Connection Control Ordinance" in place to help ensure that untested well water or creek water does not mix with the City's water system, and potentially introduce any contaminants.

Many may recall the situation in 2011 when just such a cross connection occurred, requiring a "boil water" notice for over 200 homes for several days, until the City could ensure the groundwater was not dangerous (thankfully, no contamination was detected). 

We have some clear guidelines and a step-by-step process in place to help property owners with the appropriate permitting. And, in fact, the City can offer an amnesty on the associated fees if you bring your property into compliance before Jan. 28, 2014.

The City is aware of a number of properties with wells and/or use of creek water, and our staff is in direct contact with them. In fact, many of them have been helpful in developing the regulatory process.

But, there are no doubt other properties in this category that we don't know about - and if you are such a property owner, we want to encourage you to contact the City. It really makes sense to do everything we can to protect our great Hetch Hetchy water supply, which is, of course, some of the best water in the world.

The cross connection information is available at www.redwoodcity.org/crossconnection or by calling the City's water staff at 650-780-7436.

PATCH WANTS TO KNOW - Do you have a groundwater well, or use creek water? Tell us about it in the comments below.

Keep up with the latest news in your local neighborhood - follow Patch!

Sign up for Redwood City-Woodside Patch’s daily newsletter
"Like” us on Facebook
"Follow” us on Twitter

Want to share your opinions with the communities of Redwood City and Woodside? Start your own blog here.


Victor March 04, 2013 at 06:16 PM
I use a special kind of sports water bottle and filters out the chemicals known in our water system. I bought it online at www.nikken.com
Kate Ashley March 04, 2013 at 11:12 PM
Took a look at this, but it doesn't remove chloramine which is what's used as a disinfectant. I was so hopeful. I will continue to drink spring water that I filter until they stop poisoning the environment. Who wants to drink water that's has to be treated before fish can live in it! Only humans can ruin the natural environment of so many animals! Since chloramine's been added to the water I've not seen any newts in my garden. :(


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »