A man suspected of to pull off as many as at businesses in Redwood City last month appeared in San Mateo County Superior Court today.
Miguel Angel Caballero, 30, pleaded not guilty to five counts of robbery and five counts of commercial burglary in connection with the crimes, Chief Deputy District Attorney Karen Guidotti said.
Between Aug. 7 and Aug. 14, Caballero allegedly walked into four separate markets and one gas station carrying a black pellet gun that looked like a semi-automatic handgun, Guidotti said.
In four of the five robberies, Caballero was caught committing the robberies on video surveillance cameras.
After images taken from surveillance footage were released to the public, investigators received a flood of tips and information, according to .
On Aug. 16, Caballero was tracked to a residence at 3080 William Avenue where he rented an apartment.
Police and SWAT officers , and after a standoff that lasted several hours, Caballero surrendered and was taken into custody.
In an interview with police, Caballero reportedly confessed to the robberies and said that he acted out of need to put food on the table for his girlfriend and her five children, according to the district attorney's office.
Caballero remains in custody on $250,000 bail and is due back in court for a preliminary hearing on Oct. 9.
--Bay City News
Don’t be left out of the Redwood City conversation! Sign up for Redwood City Patch’s daily newsletter, “like” us on Facebook and “follow” us on Twitter to get news, blogs, announcements and events.
Want to share your opinions with your community? Start your own blog here.