A parent of one of the alleged victims in the Special Education teacher abuse case has taken legal action seeking compensation for the alleged attack, the San Jose Mercury News reports.
Nadia Cortez filed a $1 million notice of claim with the Redwood City School District, Alexia Alika Bogdis (her child’s alleged attacker), administrators and teachers aides listed as defendants in the claim, the Mercury reports.
A notice of claim is typically a precursor to a lawsuit.
Bogdis, 44 of Millbrae, is a accused of a series of violent attacks on small children suffering with developmental disabilities while in her in her special education classes at Roosevelt, prosecutors said.
She will stand trial later this year on five misdemeanor counts of child cruelty and four counts of battery on school grounds, Chief Deputy District Attorney Karen Guidotti said.
Bogdis’ alleged attacks left Cortez’s son with injuries that required hospitalization, the Mercury reports.
The alleged incidents were witnessed by classroom aides, prosecutors said.
Bogdis’ alleged victims, who suffer from autism, were unable to make statements because of their age and developmental disability, prosecutors said.
A Bay City News article published by the San Francisco Examiner earlier this year reports that Bogdis allegedly slapped a student, "twisting a student's wrist and kicking the back of a chair, causing the desk to move forward and strike a student, according to police."
She is also accused of kicking a child in the stomach and depriving a child of food, according to police sources cited in the BCN report.
Bogdis' alleged victims are 4-year-old autistic boys, BCN reports.
Bogdis is free on $15,000 bail. Her trial date is set for Dec. 17.
Don’t be left out of the Redwood City conversation! Sign up for Redwood City Patch’s daily newsletter, “like” us on Facebook and “follow” us on Twitter to get news, blogs, announcements and events.
Want to share your opinions with your community? Start your own blog here.