The Peninsula Arts Council is a regional organization that recognizes individuals, businesses and non-profits for their support of the local arts community.
Though we didn’t win the award in the Local Business Support category (congrats to the San Mateo Daily Journal!), we are honored with such a designation. We strive to cover all aspects of our community, and we believe art not only enriches a city, but is an essential part of a community’s fabric. And in these trying economic times when art is sometimes seen as a luxury
“Once a year, we give out awards to recognize the people and organizations that are out in the world making a difference via the arts in San Mateo County,” said board member Beth Mostovoy in a . “If you want to be amazed, and you want to be uplifted and inspired, please come to the award ceremony.”
The 10th Annual Diamond Awards is at the Kohl Mansion in Burlingame on Thursday and will feature keynote speaker Russell Hancock, President & CEO of Joint Venture: Silicon Valley Network. But away from the tech bubble that is Silicon Valley, Hancock is also a classical pianist with The Saint Michael Trio, appointed Musicians in Residence at Menlo College.
This year’s winners include:
- Art in Action, Arts Organization
- Troy Paiva, Individual Artist
- Julia Belanoff, Ray Lorenzato Young Artist
- Bonny Zanardi, Arts Volunteer
- Shely Pack-Manning, Arts Educator
- San Mateo Daily Journal, Local Business Support
- Francesca Eastman, Donor Support
- Neil and Pegi Young, Special Recognition
Last year, the city’s .
Though the event is sold-out, Patch will be there to report on the event.
A list of the awards and nominees:
Arts Organization: Recognizes the work of an organization (school, club, theater, non-profit, etc.) that supports the arts in San Mateo County.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Arts Organization – Art in Action
The Reikes Center
Academy of American Ballet
South San Francisco Unified School
District Visual Arts Committee
Broadway By the Bay
Peninsula Ballet Theatre
Belmont Community Players
Viva La Musica
Save the Music Foundation
Ray Lorenzato Young Artist Award (18 and younger): Recognizes the work of an individual artist age 18 or younger in San Mateo County.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Ray Lorenzato Young Artist - Julia Belanoff
Lily YangJustin Ng
The Carlmont Drum Line
Individual Artist: Recognizes the work of an individual artist living and/or working in San Mateo County.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Individual Artist - Troy Paiva
Margaret Ann Clemente
Arts Educator: Recognizes the work of an individual teacher/instructor in San Mateo County.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Arts Educator – Shely Pack-Manning
Joyce Faulknor & Guy Magallanes
Arts Volunteer: Recognizes the work of an individual doing volunteer work for the arts in San Mateo County.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Arts Volunteer – Bonny Zanardi
Donor Support: Recognizes the financial contributions of an individual, business, or other organization to the arts in San Mateo County.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Donor Support – Francesca Eastman
Eric & Lori Lochtefeld
Local Business Support: Recognizes the contributions of San Mateo County businesses to the arts, such as a cafe that shows local artists' work on their walls, live music programming at a local club, hosting arts events, or serving the needs of local artists.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Local Business Support – San Mateo Daily Journal
San Carlos Chamber of Commerce
The Lascaux Academy of Art & Language
Redwood City Patch
Andrea Niehus/Amazing Yarns
Eric & Lori Lochtefeld/The Fox Theatre
Patty Anagnostou/La Tartine
Government Support: Recognizes city and county government support of the arts, such as public art, arts programming, grants, etc.
programming at a local club, hosting arts events, or serving the needs of local artists.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Government Support – Half Moon Bay Beautification Committee
Redwood City Civic Cultural Commission
Chris Beth & Lucas Wilder/Redwood City Parks Recreation & Community Services Dept.
Special Recognition: Individual or organization that falls outside the above categories, but advance the arts in the county.
- 2011 Diamond Award Honoree for Special Recognition – Neil and Pegi Young
Got Patch? Sign up for our newsletter by clicking on the "Patch Newsletter" link on the top right of our homepage.