YO Redwood City!
Here we are, smack dab in 2013….and this is the place for all things ART in RWC.
In my last blog, I highlighted all the art-full things that happened here in 2012. Now it is time to fast-forward and look at some cool stuff planned for 2013.
Don't forget: if you have an event or some art news to share, let me know, and don't be a stranger…your comments and suggestions are welcome here!!
OK, so here we go into the future…Right off the bat, there are several BIG celebrations y'all should know about and GO TO!
First up, is a very Happy Birthday reception to our very own Broadway Art Center, celebrating 20 YEARS in our downtown. So, mark your calendar and please stop by Saturday, Jan. 19th from 3-6. They are located on 2625 Broadway, and are home to 34 artists in 25 studios. They also offer classes in many disciplines to both children and adults. For more info on this RWC gem: redwoodcityartcenter.org
2. Why don't you make an afternoon of it? Leave a bit earlier and go see: An oil painting portrait demonstration by award-winning artist Laurie Johnson at The Society of Western Artists on Jan. 19, 1:00 p.m., at SWA Headquarters gallery, 2625 Broadway, Redwood City. The gallery is ajacent to the Broadway Art Center…it's a two-fer! And both are FREE! And open to the public. For additional information, please contact Judith Puccini at 650-737-6084 or go to www.societyofwesternartists.com
Second is your personal invitation to attend the 11th Annual Diamond Awards Benefit Gala and Awards Ceremony. The Diamond Awards recognize artistic achievement in San Mateo County in nine categories. Of the 10 outstanding honorees this year, four play a key role in advancing the arts in Redwood City. This year’s impressive roster of honorees includes:
- Music for Minors, Arts Organization
- Dr. Bryan Baker, Individual Artist
- Sean Traynor, Ray Lorenzato Young Artist
- Amanda Odasz, Ray Lorenzato Young Artist
- Barbara Pierce, Arts Volunteer (*RWC)
- Maureen McVerry, Arts Educator(*RWC)
- Eric & Lori Lochtefeld, Fox Theatre, Local Business Support (*RWC)
- Coastside Doctors Without Borders Fundraiser, Judy Shintani, Donor Support
- Redwood City Civic Cultural Commission, Government Support (*RWC) and
- Bardi Rosman Koodrin, Special Recognition
All 10 new honorees join over 100 artists and organizations who have received this prestigious award over the event’s now 11-year history. Redwood City has a storied legacy of taking home the lion’s share of Diamond Awards. Previous Diamond Award recipients hailing from Redwood City include:
2011 Individual Artist – Troy Paiva, renowned photographer
2010 – Government Support – Chris Beth and Lucas Wilder, Redwood City Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department
2010 – Business Support – San Mateo Credit Union, Redwood City
2009 – Business Support – Kevin Jarvis, Gelb Music
2008 – Arts Organization – Studio S Broadway Academy of Dance
2008- Government Support, Redwood City Redevelopment Agency
2008- Business Support – John Anagnostou, Fox Theatre
2007 – Government Support – City of Redwood City
2004 – Individual Donor – Pete & Paula Uccelli, Pete’s Harbor
ThePeninsula Arts Council will present the 11th Annual Diamond Awards, San Mateo County’s Arts Hall of Fame, on Friday evening, Jan. 25, 2013, from 6:00 – 10:00 p.m. at Hiller Aviation Museum in San Carlos.
The event is open to the public and tickets are available at www.peninsulaartscouncil.org. The ticket price includes all Hiller Aviation Museum exhibits.
Third…there are two new art exhibits for you to check out:
- The Gallery Annex, next to the Old Spaghetti Factory on Broadway, has a new show, featuring the work of six artists. A reception will be held on Friday, Febr. 8th. More details to follow. When you go there, be sure to say "hi" to BOB, our friendly art mascot, nestled for the winter at the Gallery Annex, 2115 Broadway.
- The Main Library features new art from members of the Sequoia Art Group. A new show is on the two landings of our award-winning Library, featuring the work of six artists. (Full disclosure: Honeybear Prints Photography is in both shows – as if you need yet another reason to go see ART everywhere in RWC!). This show will be up until the end of February.
Plus, the illustrious Sequoia Art Group, a Redwood City institution, will be celebrating 50 Years of Excellence this year as well. Stay tuned for more details on possible party celebrations in 2013….
Well, RWC, there is a LOT more ART news, but I think you have plenty of events to go to this month, so I will save even more ART news for next time. So, let me know if you attend these events and check out these exhibits, and what you think about all the COOL ART happenings here in RWC.
And if you have ideas of other kinds of ART you would like to see, put it out there….you never know what can happen here.
Until next time…Remember, to Always Follow your H'ART!